31.5.11

Kumunibu!

“My name is Nivida Lamichhane. I live in Kathmandu. I have a family of 6 comprising of my Grandparents, Parents, my sister and I.”

Starting off the typical kindergarten way, I am here fussing about growing up with a sibling. Well, not exactly fussing but sharing with you the pros and cons of growing up with a sibling, let me be more specific, an elder sister.
                                                   
I was born on a cold day in winter. I don’t exactly remember how I looked when I was small or how people behaved around me but I do remember that my sister was a brat and she disliked me from the core of her heart. Why? Well, obviously she wasn’t mean to me throughout my life; she was insecure as a child. Seeing a small cute baby in her mother’s arms when she was still a baby herself!  4 and half years elder to me, while growing up, she bossed around me demanding me to do things and I was innocent enough to listen to her. Well, I was not that innocent & I did steal pleasures of biting and scratching her in every chance I got. I worshipped her as she was the learned one and I trusted her and chose her over my parents any day.

As we grew older, in between the millions of fights that we got into everyday, we shared a relationship that was not just bounded by the same blood group but much more. Even if one of us went for a night out, we made sure to call each other at least once to confirm that they were doing well.  The rivalry still remained there- every time she sneaked be it for sneaking into my wardrobe or cuddled with MY mommy – well in fact all the time! The nonstop arguments we had when she wanted to listen to romantic Bollywood songs while I wanted to do some head banging on Metallica. Sharing the same room was fun and horrid at the same time. Living with a monster under the same roof bound within the same walls got us into fights- YET AGAIN- for no specific reasons! I clearly remember one incident when she nearly killed me because I threw her nails away. Not what you’re thinking nails that she had cut and were just ready to be thrown. Later she told me that they were for her Science project. (One hell of a liar)

My sister was a messy person and maybe because I was young, I kept my area of the room clean and tidy where as her side was no better than a junk yard. I was an awesome cook and helped my mother in the kitchen, did errands for her and what not? Well, I might be boasting a little but common, I was the good daughter here! Anyways, after my sister was done with her Bachelors, she opted to go to London for her Masters. BAM! There you go, yes, I cried like anything.  Anything here means everything and a lot. I secretly sobbed in the loo when I thought of her leaving me all alone with my horrendous mother. All of a sudden she seemed horrendous and scary! I had never been alone without her. EVER.

Sometimes when we have the same hairstyle by co-incidence! :P

Well, she did go and we skyped everyday! Video chat was our only string of survival. She showed me what she ate, what she bought, her friends and I tempted her with momos. Seasons passed and it’s been a year she left and we still skype but not as often as we used to. This past year I realized that my sister was like a habit to me. I love her more than anything! Not to forget that I love the occasional gifts she sends me EVEN MORE! :)

Muahhahhhaa (Evil Laughter!)

1 comment:

  1. Good one meri pyaari bahini. Kumu should be proud of you! ;)

    ReplyDelete